Tuesday 6 May 2014

Dressmaking

I was very surprised to find my husband had listened to me go on (and on) about sewing classes and bought me a dressmaking course at the Felixstowe Sewing School for Christmas. It didn't start until February so I had plenty of time to think about a pattern and fabric. I decided I wanted to make a vintage style shift dress and used this New Look pattern. 

I must admit my 2 boys keep me very busy and I am often shattered in the evenings but as soon as I stepped into that sewing room I felt excited and ready to get started. Of course the tea served in vintage cups and saucers and amazing homemade cake certainly helped.  

Amanda is a great teacher and extremely patient. Each week our dresses looked more and more wearable and it was actually quite a surprise how quickly it all came together in the end after all the much needed prep work. Amanda also helped me make the dress my own and add a peter pan collar. Here I am modelling the dress I made.


It felt like a great achievement and something I truly enjoyed. I have since made another dress using the same pattern with some changes (no collar or sleeves) that I was a bit nervous about tackling without a teacher nearby but I used a helpful book called Sew Step by Step by Alison Smith which has some very clear photos and from what I had learnt already the instructions made a lot more sense. I can't wait to start another sewing project. 


Anyone else attempting to make their own clothes? 

Love Lemon x

2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing your dress on IG and I was SO impressed!!! That shift dress pattern looks like the perfect style for me too so am v tempted to have a stab (though not sure how i'd get on). Well done for cracking on and making another on your own. That's what I did after a sewing class and you feel so good when you know you can do it solo too. Second dress looks equally fab - you're on a roll!!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a great pattern and I really love a good shift dress. It can be made for so many different occasions with various fabrics and added extras. I would like to make another with plain fabric and vintage fabric pockets on the front. Happy to help in any way I can when you make your dress. Katy x

      Delete